Derrol Paul Hopewell,
9a, Radiant Road,
Date of Birth: 17- 07- 54
Present Age 45
Tel No: (0116) - 241- 9898
1994-1999 De Montfort University, Leicester, UK.
B.Sc(Hons). Computer Science
Placement Year - Spent as Web Master for CCSR (Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility) at DMU.
(Feb 29 2000)
City and Guilds of London (Part 2) Mechanical Engineering Technicians' (Mechanical Engineering Drawing)
Charles Keene College.
City and Guilds of London (Part 1) EMEU Mechanical Engineering Technicians' Course
EMEU General Engineering Craft Studies Mechanical Bias.
ITB Mechanical Engineering. Part A, B, C. for Craftsmen and Technicians.
1968-1971 Longslade Upper School, Leicester.
- GCE 'O' Level
- Engineering Drawing
- CSE Grade 1 Physics, Biology
- Grade 2 English, Mathematics, Technical Drawing
- Grade 3 Metalwork, Chemistry
Other Courses Attended:
TACK H.Q. London, 3 Day Sales training Course
British Safety Council, 5 Day Safety Training Course
Leicester City Council, 1 Day Basic Food Hygiene. Further Skills & Interests
- Current Web Master for:
- The Fire Services National Museum Trust
- Hamilton Projects
- East Midlands C.A.R.E.
- Woodheyes Residential Home
- Also for the Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility 1996-97 (placement year)
- When at CCSR working on a Windows Platform, Telneting to Linux server, programming HTML in vi.
- Full control as Web Master for CCSR, responsible for hit count reaching 250,000 hits per week.
- Joint author of a paper: Business Ethics on the Internet published in Business Ethics - A European Review, July 1997.
Systems Analysis and design
- Planned and installed a network for a company in Leicester - Shared resources:
- 3 printers, 1 scanner, 1 fax, 1 modem, and 6 PC's,
- All PC users access the Internet through the single modem
- Own network (5 PC's),
- Helped plan and installed network at CCSR,
- Extensive knowledge of Ethernet, and TCP/IP,
- Archive system for Fire Services National Museum,
- Comfortable with modelling tools e.g. SSADM, and Visio.
- Experience in using Gantt Charts, critical path analysis, and most forms of information gathering,
- Extensive knowledge of MS Windows 95/98,
- Knowledge of UNIX, Linux, and Windows NT,
- MS Office 95/97 including Outlook 98, Outlook Express, and Access 97,
- Paint Shop Pro, MS Publisher, AutoCAD LT,
- Select SSADM, FrontPage Express, and Netscape Composer,
- Programmed in Visual Works (Smalltalk), Visual Basic, Visual Works, C++, Modula-2, cgi, HTML, and PERL.
- I also have knowledge of: Management Support Systems, Management Information Systems, Expert Systems, and Graphical Information Systems,
I am at present working as a freelance consultant designing and building web sites and providing I.T. support. My clients include a media company who design and host web sites, and a software company whose clients are predominately in the not-for-profit sector.
June 1989 -
DPH Equipment Specialists Proprietor.
Buying, selling, repairing and maintaining all types of machinery as a sole trader, specialising in garage equipment e.g. M.O.T. equipment, repair jigs and low bake ovens. I was responsible for all processes appertaining to running a small business. Including accounts, advertising, costing, Negotiating with government bodies (namely. the Ministry of Transport), organising, and co-ordinating work with other companies on major projects.
Sept. 1987 -
Serpico International. Machinery Dealers Agent.
Duties: - Buying and selling, new and second hand machinery, negotiating both buying and selling prices, costing imports from Italy and Taiwan, running exhibition stands, testing, evaluating, and promoting new products. Working as a third party negotiator.
Mar. 1979 -
Spartan Manufacturing. Production / Maintenance Supervisor.
Duties: - Production planning, quality control, maintenance of plant and equipment, drawing and buying spares, customer liaison, 'on job training', calculating and implementing staffing levels, supervising up to 30 staff.
Mar. 1979 -
Ludbrook Employment Agency. Industrial Vacancies Counsellor.
Duties :- Interviewing and assessing applicants. Canvassing, and negotiating with employers on behalf of the applicant and my employer.
Jan. 1979 -
S.O.S. Group. Counsellor
Duties :- As above.
Aug. 1972 -
Adcock-Shipley Textron. Sales Engineer. (Plastics Division),
Apprentice Technician 3 1/2 years. Apprenticeship training included production engineering, turning, milling, gear cutting, Inspection, expediting, production line fitting, sales, purchasing, and 2 years draughting. Last 18 months in the plastics division as the technical sales representative.
My strongest areas are problem solving, practical application, organisation, people skills, web site design, network administration, and systems analysis and design.
I am a mechanically minded person and often turn to my many industrial skills i.e. mechanical engineering, electrical wiring, and welding, as and when needed.
My main hobby is computers, I spend most of my free time either using them, reading about them, modifying them, configuring them for other people or just talking about them.
My main sports hobby is golf. I have been a member of 'Humberstone Heights Golf Club' since 1991. I am a fan of most sports including American Football, Rugby Football, Soccer and Cricket, and I am a PADI advanced open water scuba diver.
I was involved with the scout movement for a great many years, and while I was living in south Wales I was A.V.S.L. (Assistant Venture Scout Leader) with 5th Caerphilly Scout Group for 4 years.
My other interests include cycling, swimming, and hill walking, science, technology, astronomy, and photography.